My Off-Road Life
Hi! I am Ali and I think it’s important you learn a little bit about me, my day job, and my involvement in the off-road industry. I am an average lady Jeeper just trying to make it in the off-road world!
I am currently a Master of Science student of Cybersecurity at Georgia Institute of Technology, where my focus is technical information security and practices. I hold a Bachelor of Science degree in Internet of Things (IoT) Engineering and a BS in Electrical Engineering, focusing in cyber security and embedded systems from Florida International University. I had the honor of graduating from FIU as Cum Laude and with a World’s Ahead recognition from the College of Engineering and Computing.
I work in cybersecurity and my daily job consists of “ethical hacking” where many organizations pay us to hack into their systems and help them improve their gaps in security. I also help organizations establish their security posture and policies.
I purchased my 2015 Jeep JK shortly after I came home from serving in the US Navy, and have been obsessed with it ever since. You can read more about my journey with Rajah here. Ever since, I have immersed myself in the off-road community and have consistently attended Jeep events and parking lot meets. I have made incredible friends in the community, some of which are friends even outside of the off-road world.
In August 2018, I went to Moab for the wedding of a Jeeper couple that I am close friends with. We did an entire trip where I was able to trailer my Jeep to Moab and experience some of the toughest trails. Building a badass rock crawler can be expensive, and I have so far built my Jeep in stages. I keep being dragged into my love for offroading with every trip I take, and go further into building.
I have always been involved in very male dominant communities: the military, engineering school, a cybersecurity career, etc. I strive to be a role model for my teenage sisters, and to encourage their technical interests. The same goes for off-roading. When I bought my Jeep, I never would have thought I would be where I am now, but I want others to know that they can do it too. You don’t have to be “in the industry” or work for an off-road company. You can be the average weekend warrior and build a badass rock crawler too. My goal for this blog is to transcend typical social media, and create lasting, relevant content that will inspire others.
When I am not out seeking adventure, you can find me on the couch binge-watching the latest Marvel shows on Netflix or indulging in my guilty pleasure, The Bachelor or The Bachelorette.
The Build Never Ends
My current build is a one-ton 2015 Jeep Wrangler on Ford Superduty axles with a rear stretch. I have been able to wheel confidently and have pushed my Jeep its limits. Currently, I am working on some aesthetic modifications to include corner armor, paint, and powdercoat. In the future, I plan to modify the current axles by eliminating the ball joints in the front, and shaving the rear Sterling differential. Some more future plans include:
- Performance Steering Components steering system (big bore steering box, Power Steering Pump & Remote Reservoir Kit) – done!
- TNT Customs Corners for 8″ rear stretch – done!
- Custom Roll Cage and Sliders (tied into frame)
- JK8 Master Cylinder – done!
- Sterling 10.5 Differential Shave Kit
- Over 10,000 unique visitors per month on the Wheel Like A Girl blog
- SEMA/AAPEX shows media badge credentials and access
- Tech savvy (web development, SEO, web analytics, engineering, AutoCAD, Adobe programs, you name it)
- Active in Jeep and off-road related Facebook groups
- Point of contact for many new Jeepers in FL, especially females, who are looking for advice on parts
- Attends many and most Jeep events in Florida
- Experience with creating and marketing YouTube videos
- Experience with sponsored blog posts and product reviews (both on blog and manufacturer website)
- Public Facebook and Instagram profiles
Annual Industry Events
Be There or Be Square
These are some of the annual events I normally attend or would be willing to attend if requested (more available as needed):
- Jeepin’ With Judd | Bartow, FL | February
- Jeep Beach | Daytona, FL | April
- Mayday Miami | Miami, FL | May
- Sheriff’s Jeepfest | Jasper, GA | September
- Jeeptoberfest | Ocala, FL | October
- Krawln’ for the Fallen | Starke, FL | November
- SEMA/AAPEX Media | Las Vegas, NV | November
I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends
I am heavily involved in the off-road community in South Florida and Florida as a whole and attend social events on a weekly basis with my Jeep. Here are some shops, brands, and partners I have worked with in the past and present in order to provide meaningful content, create value, and promote relationships.
Inspired Engineering | Miami, FL
- Created and edited marketing videos, to include off-road trips and special event recaps
- Built a new eCommerce website and set up email marketing
- Coordinated giveaways for social media platforms
- Created sale ads to be used on social media
- Attended Jeep Beach 2016, 2017, 2018 as a marketing partner
Veloz Audio | Miami, FL
- Sponsored audio marketing for Veloz Audio based in Miami, FL
- Creating videos to be used in social media marketing
Truckin Motion | Miami, FL
- Attended multiple group wheeling trips with Truckin Motion shop and sponsors such as ARB 4×4 in 2015-2018
- Promoting shop events such as grand opening and Thursday night socials
- Active member since 2017
- Participated in Ladies Offroad Challenge 2019
- Attends Ladies Offroad Network events such as Trail Training days at 4Wheel Parts stores nationwide
- Created several ProClip sponsored blog posts
- Advertised ProClip mounts for Jeep JK on social media to include Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube
- Wrote product reviews on all applicable products on the ProClip USA website
- Provided photos from offroad trails around the country to assist in building app
- Mapping trails on the onX Offroad app
- Official affiliate marketing partner with personalized referral links
- Creating sponsored blog posts about the onX Offroad app
- Received an early release of the SPOT x Jeep edition satellite messenger device
- Tested and provided feedback to SPOT LLC about device
- Activated and used satellite messaging device on offroad trips
- Creating sponsored blog posts about the SPOT messenger device and the Jeep edition
- Built new eCommerce website to incorporate multiple points of sale
- Installed SSL certificate and configured secure credit card processing
- Provided business consulting and a streamlined shipping process